Descendant of the first ever mirrorless camera, Panasonic G7, is a non-specific interchangeable lens camera. It looks like a miniature DSLR and it includes all the control points you’d expect from a mid-range DSLR.
It features 16 megapixel CMOS sensor, a next-generation intelligent image processor, exclusive 4K Ultra HD* video technology, fully-articulated touch screen and Wi-Fi for remote shooting and image transfer.
- Superb DSLM image quality without the bulk and weight of traditional DSLRs
- Never miss a photo with three unique 4K Ultra HD Video pause and save 4K Photo Modes
- Fast and precise auto focusing tracks the subject. Focus mode AFS (single) / AFF (flexible) / AFC (continuous) / MF, AF mode face/eye detection / tracking / 49 area / custom multi / 1 area / pinpoint
- Class leading, ultra compact, interchangeable lens and accessory option. HDMI: microHDMI TypeD / VIERA Link,Video: Auto / 4K / 1080p / 1080i / 720p / 480p,Audio: Stereo
- Unwire Your Creativity with integrated Wi Fi sharing
With its retro-modern design, it is smaller and lighter than a normal DSLR camera, but it still ensures intuitive and easy access to all features.
Now, let’s see which lenses would be the perfect fit for this cute retro body.
Best Panasonic G7 Prime Lenses
Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 ASPH Power OIS
- Perfect for low light photography with a bright F1.7 aperture.
- 31cm Closest Focusing Distance
- Power O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) / 240fps Drive AF
- Focal Length, f=42.5mm (35mm camera equivalent 85mm)
A short portrait length prime lens, Panasonic’s Lumix G 42.5mm f1.7 provides an angle of view equivalent to an 85mm lens used on a 35mm format camera. Its 85mm equivalent field of view combined with the bright f1.7 focal ratio makes this camera ideal for portraits and isolating the subject. It draws maximum light to produces a beautiful bokeh non-distracting blurred areas, which is very important for a fast portrait lens.
Thanks to the Optical Image Stabilizer, Lumix G 42.5mm provides gorgeous crisp, super clear shots even when shooting in low-lit situations.
Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Micro Four Thirds
- Lens Hood
- Front and Rear Lens Caps
- Limited 1-Year Warranty
This super-fast portrait-length lens has a field of view equivalent to an 85mm lens on a full frame camera. It is made entirely of metal and glass which makes it feel really solid in hand. The lens has three rings which make it notably larger than other lenses in this range. The image quality is great.
It provides quite sharp images, even at wide apertures. For a lens of this speed and focal length quality of the bokeh is probably the most important because its primarily use is for creating a shallow depth of field and blurry background which will isolate the subject.
Luckily, the quality is very indisputable. Chromatic aberration and spherical aberration are controlled very well and spherical aberration is essentially fully corrected by f/1.4 at most focus distances.
Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
- LEICA DG QUALITY - LEICA DG Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds lenses provide the ultimate in optical quality and performance. LEICA DG Lenses meet the strict quality standards set by Leica Camera AG.
- F1.4 APERTURE - High-speed F1.4 LEICA DG SUMMILUX lens with outstanding image rendering and exquisite soft-focusing effect.
- COATED OPTICS - Nano Surface Coating by Panasonic ends unwanted ghosting and flaring
- FILTER THREAD - For greater creative control this lens offers a 46mm thread mount for polarizer and other options lens filters.
A premium fast standard prime lens Leica DG Summilux 25mm F1.4 with excellent optics and fast, near-silent internal focusing was the first Micro Four Thirds lens to deliver reputed standard coverage equivalent to 50mm on a full-frame body.
This lens puts in a very fine performance when it comes to sharpness. It is exceptionally sharp but you can notice some chromatic aberration when used at the widest aperture.
It’s not too bad though and it can be fixed by stopping down a little. Falloff of illumination towards the corners is well controlled too. The build quality is great, mostly metal with plastic filter ring. It has no switches, depth of field scale, infrared index or distance scale. The focus ring is smooth to run.
Panasonic G7 Zoom Lenses
Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS
- Circular aperture diaphragm, durable metal mounting and multi-coated lens elements
- Based on the Micro Four Thirds System standard
- The new lens system uses four aspherical lenses and two ED lenses to achieve dramatic downsizing despite its powerful 10x optical zoom. The filter size is 62mm.
- Panasonic's Mega O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) suppresses the blurring that is commonly caused by hand-shake
- The new lens allows use of the advanced contrast AF system
Surprisingly small and light for a superzoom lens, Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS combines a 10 times zoom range to a nearly silent autofocus and integrated image stabilization. Zooming is not internal.
The front extends upon zooming to 280mm (not so tiny anymore) but it’s still pretty compact for a lens with such a huge focal range. The built quality is good. It has a lot of plastic parts, but the lens mount is made of metal. Autofocus is very, very quick and it tracks moving subjects well.
Manual focusing is also possible. There are some problems with chromatic aberration and light falloff, but it is far from disastrous. Distortion and flare are very well controlled.
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f2.8 PRO
- Constant f2.8 maximum aperture
- Focal length : 12 to 40 millimeter, Minimum Focus Distance 7.87 inches (20 centimeter )
- Drip Proof;Dustproof, Splash proof, and Freeze proof construction. Lens Construction:14 Elements in 9 Groups (Aspherical ED lens, 2 Aspherical lenses, DSA lens, 2 ED lenses, HD lens, 2 HR lense)
- Includes lens hood and pouch,Filter Size 62 millimeter, Equipped with manual focus clutch mechanism
- Compatible with Olympus and Panasonic cameras
Weather-sealed professional standard zoom lens Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f2.8 PRO offers constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 throughout its zoom range and 35mm equivalent focal range of 24-80mm.
This lens is very fast to autofocus and it does it smoothly and quietly with the lens construction where only two cemented lenses are moved to adjust focus. Manual focusing is also available.
This lens is quite large and heavy, but despite that, it still feels solid in hand and it keeps smaller cameras more stable. Chromatic aberration, shading, and distortion are very well controlled.
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ
- Electric zoom 4.1x zoom lens
- Electronic or manual zooming available
- Remote control of zoom available with smart phone app
- Dedicated macro setting. Minimum Focus Distance 7.87 inches (20 cm)
- Customizable lens function button for quick access to camera settings
With a maximum magnification 4.2X, this zoom lens is covering a range that extends from a wide angle of 24mm to a medium telephoto focal length of 100mm. Unusually for this kind of lens the maximum aperture is pretty slow at the telephoto end at only f/6.3. Sharpness is amazing across the frame. Chromatic aberration and falloff of illumination are very well controlled.
An excellent high-quality feel of this lens is complimented by the splash-proof build. Its mount is built from metal which contributes to its weight, making it well balanced on the camera. Autofocus and zoom are entirely internal. AF is fast and accurate but sometimes, in low light situations, it struggles to find a lock.
The design of the zoom mechanism is unique where the zoom ring can be set in three positions by moving it back and forth. The first one uses electromagnetic zoom motor (for smooth zoom during the video recording), the second one engages the zoom mechanism manually by sliding the zoom ring forward (for composing quickly while shooting still images).
If you depress the macro button on the side of the lens, you will be able to move the ring forward one more time(allows a magnification of 0.36x to be realized).
Panasonic G7 Wide Angle Lenses
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH
- 7-14mm focal length
- 14-28mm equivalent focal length on Micro Four Thirds cameras
- F4.0 constant maximum aperture; F22 minimum
- Image stabilization, via camera body where available
- 0.25m/9.84" minimum focus
This ultra-wide-angle zoom lens provides a focal range of 14-28mm in 35mm terms and an 114-degree angle of view. It is small and lightweight for this kind of lens with high-quality construction. Zooming is external, but zoomed out it fits into the palm of your hand. It features a constant ƒ/4 aperture which produced very sharp images.
Distortion and chromatic aberration are extremely well-controlled, but unfortunately Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH has some problems with shading. AF works quite well and it is perfectly silent.
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f1.8
- Ultra compact wide angle lens
- 34mm equivalent field of view captures large groups or landscapes
- Premium metallic construction
- Snapshot Focus mechanism that lets you shift the focusing point to a specific distance
- Fast f/1.8 aperture great for low light shooting
This beautiful retro wide-angle lens is perfect for street style photography. With the 35mm focal length, it provides a wide perspective capturing your subject and all around it, but it isn’t too wide to distort the image. It has an all-metal lens barrel which makes it feel really solid in hand, despite its small size and weight This is a truly small lens that easily fits in the palm of your hand.
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f1.8 provides sharp and detailed images with good color quality. It performs well in low light situations. There aren’t any significant chromatic aberration issues and distortion is controlled quite well.
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm f4.0-5.6
- Wide-angle zoom lens is designed for Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras and provides an 18-36mm equivalent focal length range.
- Two Dual Super Aspherical elements, along with one high refractive index element and an aspherical element, reduce spherical aberrations and distortions throughout the zoom range for improved sharpness with minimal distortion.
- One extra-low dispersion element suppresses color fringing and chromatic aberrations for greater clarity and color accuracy.
- Movie & Still Compatible (MSC) autofocus system benefits both photo and video applications due to its smooth, quiet, and fast performance.
- Retractable lens design with a locking button maintains a compact profile when the lens is not in use.
This is one incredibly compact lens constructed from high-quality plastics and the lens mount made of metal. For its size, this lens provides impressive performance. Used wide open this lens provides nicely sharp results and stopping down improves both central and corner sharpness.
There are some problems with chromatic aberration but shading and distortion are very well controlled because all lens elements are multi-coated to ensure maximum light transmission and image clarity.
Falloff of illumination is also incredibly well controlled. AF is very fast, focusing from closest focus to infinity in less than one second. Manual focusing mechanism offers a responsive feel and smooth, precise operation.
Panasonic G7 Macro Lenses
Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS
- 45mm focal length; equivalent to 90mm on a 35mm film camera
- Uses both an aspherical lens and an ED lens comprised of fourteen lenses arranged in ten groups
- Inner focus motor system makes action smooth and silent when capturing still and video content
- Minimum focus distance can instantly be changed to 150mm or 500mm
- Used with Lumix G Micro System Cameras, allows for use of the advanced contrast Auto Focus (AF) system
Bright macro lenses are usually relatively big and heavy, but this is one is amazingly compact and light, mostly made of high-quality plastic based on a metal mount. The focus ring is rubberized and it operates smoothly.
The lens has two switches for the image stabilization (Mega OIS on/off) and for the focus limiter (Full/limit). Focusing is internal so the physical length doesn’t change while adjusting the AF settings. It has a 1:1 magnification, which is probably the most important thing when it comes to macro lenses.
The 1:1 magnification means that the subject shown on the sensor is the same size as it is in real life. Panasonic 45 mm f/2.8 macro Leica is sharp from corner to corner from f/2.8 through f/11 which is a very good performance. Chromatic aberrations are barely detectable but the falloff of illumination is quite prominent. However, that can be fixed by stopping the lens down a little.
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f2.8 Macro
- Weatherproof Macro lens withstands harsh conditions
- 7.4 inch minimum working distance, Focal Length - 60 mm
- 1x 35mm equivalent maximum magnification
- 13 separate lens elements in 10 groups assures faithful reproduction of finest details
- Focus limit switch speeds up auto focus, Built-in working distance window for subject distance confirmation
While small and light, Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f2.8 Macro looks really long mounted on the Panasonic G7, giving it a dose of professional look without adding much weight. But really, this lens fits into a palm of a hand. The lens features a seven-bladed circular aperture, a four-position focus limiter switch, a 46mm filter thread and it is also marked as splash proof.
With the Olympus’ MSC technology that this lens uses, autofocus is fast and near-silent. It focuses between close focus and infinity in around a second. The lens is very well-designed to resist chromatic aberration and distortion, but there are some problems with shading. Most importantly, the lens provides a full 1:1 reproduction with the closest focus point of 7.5 inches.
Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 ASPH Mega OIS
- Approx. 1.0x / 2.0x (35mm camera equiv.) Magnification
- High Descriptiveness Corner to Corner / Beautiful Bokeh Expression
- 240fps Drive AF / MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)
Another small and light macro lens that easily fits into a palm of your hand, Panasonic Lumix G Macro is offering a 35mm equivalent focal range of 60mm and the life-size magnification at its closest focus distance. It is very compact with the barrel constructed from a mix of metal and high-quality plastics.
Sharpness is excellent across the frame at wide apertures and stopping down only results in an increase in performance. There is also image stabilizer which is turned on and off via the camera body’s menu system, and which should give you an equivalent gain of 2.5-3 f-stops.
Chromatic aberrations and distortion are well controlled, but there are some problems with the falloff of illumination.
Panasonic G7 Telephoto Lenses
Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH OIS
- Optically Stabilized with LUMIX Power O.I.S.
- LUMIX Advanced Nano Surface Coating
- External Aperture Ring and Metal Lens Hood
- Micro Four Thirds Lens Mount
- Lens not Zoomable
A very fast short telephoto portrait lens, Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron is featuring a 35mm camera equivalent focal length of 85mm, f/1.2 maximum aperture, a nano-scale coating and a Power O.I.S stabilization system. It offers good control over depth-of-field for portrait work and offers low-light capability. With a bullet-proof all-metal construction, we can say that the build quality is excellent.
The lens is quite small considering its features but fitting the imposing lens hood almost doubles the length of the lens. It provides extremely high sharpness which is improving as the aperture is stopped down.
When used wide open it provides beautiful creamy bokeh and still achieves sharp results in the center of the frame. Chromatic aberration, falloff of illumination and distortion are extremely well controlled.
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 300mm F4 IS Pro
- World's most powerful 6-steps of compensation synchronized in-lens and in-body Image Stabilization
- Closest focus of 1.4 meters gives a 0.48X (35mm equivalent) telemacro photography, Focal Length : 300mm
- Splash, Dust, and Freeze proof design
- Manual focus clutch & Lfn button to instantly switch shooting styles
- Compatible with the MC-14 tele-converter
A little bulky in appearance, but well balanced on the camera, Olympus M.Zuiko Pro gives a 35mm-equivalent field of view of a 600mm. This is a powerful telephoto lens whose main enemy is camera shake; luckily, it has Image Stabilization mechanism built into the lens which provides optical image stabilization. This lens offers a lot in the when it comes to features.
It features a maximum aperture of f/4, fast and quiet autofocusing, Z Coating Nano that reduces ghosting and flare, manual focus clutch mechanism, built-in lens hood, focus limiter switch a customizable L-Fn button, Super ED lenses that eliminate peripheral chromatic aberration, three High Refractive index lenses and one Extra-High Refractive index lens.
This lens provides excellent sharpness across the frame. Chromatic aberration and distortion are very well controlled. The bokeh is just lovely and smooth.
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
- Premium Compact Design / Easy to Carry Around - Retractable-Type Telephoto Zoom Lens, Sophisticated Metal Design
- High-Speed, High-Precision Focusing - 240 fps Drive Capability to Take Advantage of Cameras with High-Speed AF
- Stable Flaming Even in Telephoto Setting - MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)
- NOTE: Compact 70-200 millimeter equivalent zoom of a full frame DSLR lenses
This beautiful retractable telephoto zoom lens offers an angle of view equivalent to a 70-200mm lens on a 35mm camera.
The lens mount is constructed of metal while other parts are made of plastic to keep the weight down, making this lens extremely small and light. Both image stabilization and autofocus can be turned on and off in the camera menu since there are no switches on this lens.
When using the lens in the widest apertures it provides excellent image sharpness mostly across the frame but its best performance comes at 35mm and ƒ/8. It also provides excellent results for chromatic aberration and distortion, but there are some problems when it comes to shading. The autofocus operates very fast with very little noise.
Panasonic G7 Lens Comparison Table
|Lens||Type||Focal Length||Aperture||Filter Size||Weight||Image Stabilization|
|Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 ASPH Power OIS||Prime Lens||42.5 mm||f/1.7 – f/22||37 mm||4.59 oz||Yes
|Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Micro Four Thirds||Prime Lens||42.5 mm||f/0.95 – f/16||58 mm||15.5 oz||No|
|Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4||Prime Lens||25 mm||f/1.4 – f/16||46 mm||7.05 oz||No|
|Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS||Zoom Lens||14 – 140 mm||f/4 – f/22||62 mm||16.23 oz||Yes|
|Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f2.8 PRO||Zoom Lens||12 – 40mm||f/2.8 – f/22||62 mm||13.5 oz||No|
|Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ||Zoom Lens||12 – 50 mm||f/3.5 – f/22||52 mm||7.4 oz||No|
|Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH||Wide Angle||7 – 14 mm||f/4 – f/22||n/a||10.58 oz||Yes|
|Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f1.8||Wide Angle||17 mm||f/1.8 – f/22||46 mm||4.2 oz||No|
|Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm f4.0-5.6||Wide Angle||18 mm||f/4 – f/22||52 mm||5.5 oz||No|
|Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS||Macro Lens||45 mm||f/2.8 – f/22||46 mm||7.9 oz||Yes|
|Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f2.8 Macro||Macro Lens||60 mm||f/2.8 – f/22||46 mm||6.5 oz||No|
|Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 ASPH Mega OIS||Macro Lens||30 mm||f/1.2 – f/16||46 mm||6.34 oz||Yes|
|Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH OIS||Telephoto Lens||42.5 mm||f/1.2 – f/16||67 mm||15.4 oz||Yes|
|Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 300mm F4 IS Pro||Telephoto Lens||300 mm||f/4 – f/22||77 mm||52.3 oz||Yes|
|Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS||Telephoto Lens||35 – 100 mm||f/4 – f/22||56 mm||4.8 oz||Yes|
All you need to do is pick the one lens you think is the perfect fit for you and your Panasonic G7. That should be easy since we carefully picked the lenses that can serve you very well.
I hope this was helpful. Enjoy your new lenses!